Wednesday 29 August 2012

How to: Dip Dye Denim Shorts

Hey lovelies,

So with my holiday coming up (the one that I'm now actually on) I decided to get a bit creative and taking some inspiration from Kirsty at Bows and Belles and her dip dye denim shirt post, I decided to re-vamp my old and unused denim shorts. They were pretty plain, dark denim and I never wore them so I had nothing to lose if it didn't work. I did it all for free as I just used what I had at home and have to buy anything so it was a really cheap and easy process which only took a couple of hours.

Firstly I cut my shorts as the hems were originally rolled up, so I unpicked the stitching and snipped away until they were at the length I wanted. I then folded the shorts in half and put a clip coat hanger on the shorts at the top so that they were level all the way across the bottoms.



I then filled a sink bowl with two bottles of Domestos bleach ( I did try one but it wasn't enough for how high I wanted the dye to go) and placed the shorts in the bowl so that just under half was immersed in the bleach.


I left them soaking and went back to check on them every 15 minutes or so to check their progress. Altogether it took about 1 hour 50 minutes to get them the white shade I wanted at the bottom. After about 1 hour-ish, it went a light blue which did look nice but I wanted it a bit lighter so left it.



As soon as they were white enough, I placed them in another bowl in the sink and ran cold water all over them before putting them in a bowl of cold water and white vinegar. I used a whole bottle of this to stop the bleach dying and running and then I put them in the washing machine for two washes.


Once they were dry I cut them up a bit more and using a nail buffer I rubbed over where I had cut to give it a bit more of a ragged-y look and hey presto, brand new looking shorts that are much more fashionable than they previously were and for free as all of the bits I needed were already at home.


The finished result...


What do you think of my new shorts? Is this something you'll try at home?

Love 
x

6 comments:

  1. They look so good! Can't believe how easy this is, I'll definitely be trying this :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwh thank you! I was really impressed with them, to say it was my first time doing anything like that :) Definitely try it, it's so easy, let me know how you get on :) xo

      Delete
  2. This is such a cute tutorial! It ends up great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lovely :) was pleased with them myself :D xo

      Delete
  3. I wish I had the guts to be more creative and personalise my clothes, but I'm not really an 'artsy' person.

    These look great!

    Joanne x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Attempting this as we speak.. Wish me luck!
    Yours look amazing.
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...